Photo, Maureen O’Leary
Your privacy is important to us.
What information does The Keepthings collect?
• Non-personally identifying information of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site, and the date and time of each visitor request.
• Personally identifying information about you, such as your name and email address, that you provide when you sign up to receive emails from us or submit a story for potential publication. We also collect potentially personally identifying information like Internet Protocol (IP) addresses from visitors. The amount and type of information we gather depends on the nature of the interaction.
The Keepthings uses your information to: enable you to access and use the Platform; improve the Platform and user support (by using non-personally identifying information to better understand audience usage); send periodic emails soliciting your opinion or sharing news about The Keepthings; communicate on the Platform. From time to time, we may release non-personally identifying information in the aggregate—for example, by publishing a report on trends in the usage of the Platform. We will not rent or sell personally identifying or potentially personally identifying information to anyone. We will disclose potentially personally identifying and personally identifying information only in response to a subpoena, court order or other governmental request, or when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of The Keepthings, third parties, or the public at large. We take all measures reasonably necessary to protect against unauthorized access, use, alteration or destruction of potentially personally identifying and personally identifying information.
Cookies. Cookies are data files placed on the computer or device you use to access the Platform. Cookies are used for many purposes, including to keep you signed in, to understand how you use the Platform and your preferences and web pages visited while using the Platform. You can disable cookies on your device, but some features on the Platform may not function properly. The Platform uses:
• Strictly necessary cookies. These cookies collect information that is required for you to use certain basic features of the site. We also use performance and analytics cookies and other similar technologies to improve your user experience and to improve functionality of our site.
• Functionality cookies. These cookies recognize you on the Platform and remember your selected preferences. This could include your language and location information.
• Advertising cookies. These cookies collect information about your visit to the Platform to tailor advertising to your interests. Limited aspects of this data may sometimes be shared with third parties for advertising or analytics purposes. This means that when you visit another website, you may be shown advertising based on your browsing patterns on the Platform. Refusing these cookies may result in seeing advertisements that are not relevant to you.
• Social media cookies. These cookies offer the possibility to connect you to your social media networks and share content from the Platform through social media. Refusing to accept them may interfere with your ability to interact with the Platform through social media.
Protection of certain personally identifying information. The Keepthings discloses potentially personally identifying and personally identifying information only to those of its contractors and affiliated organizations that need the information in order to process it on The Keepthings’ behalf or provide services available on the Platform, and that have agreed not to disclose it to others. Some of those contractors and affiliated organizations may be located outside your home country; by using the Platform, you consent to the transfer of such information to them.
Aggregated statistics. The Keepthings may collect statistics about the behavior of visitors to the Platform. We may display this information publicly or provide it to others, but we don’t disclose personally identifying information.
Security. The security of your personal information is important to us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100 percent secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Data access, portability and erasure. Some jurisdictions, through data privacy laws like GDPR and CCPA, may entitle you to request copies of your personal information held by us. You may also be entitled to request copies of personal information that you have provided to us, and/or you may request us to transmit this information to you or another service provider where this is technically feasible. We generally retain your personal information for as long as is necessary for the performance of your use of our Platform with your consent, and for us to comply with our legal obligations. If you no longer want us to use your information that you provide on our site, you can request that we erase your personal information. Please note that if you request erasure of your personal information, we may retain some personal information as necessary to our legitimate business interests, like fraud detection and enhancing user safety. We may also retain information to comply with our legal obligations, like our legal reporting or auditing obligations.
Children. The Keepthings does not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13 years of age, please do not use this Platform.